We Have a Responsibility to the Environment
We apply research, innovation, and technology to continuously improve our environmental stewardship practices. The result is responsible use and restoration of the earth's resources.
Millenium Bulk Terminals
After acquiring the property, MBT-Longview aggressively cleaned up the former aluminum smelter site. It worked with the Washington State Department of Ecology and Southwest Washington Clean Air Agency to:
• Remove an estimated 100,000 tons of Green Petroleum Coke, applying strategies to control dust and ensure environmentally sound transport and disposal.
• Safely dismantle an estimated 4,500 feet of unpermitted conveyors around the site.
• Recycle two-thirds of 260,000 total tons (8,600 semi-truck loads) of materials removed from site.
• Safely demolish, dispose, and/or recycle tons of various bulk products and 3 unused buildings.
• Repair a damaged levy.
• Remove creosoted pilings from Columbia River.
• Repair a landfill cap.
Decker Coal Company
The Decker mine has spent millions of dollars to reclaim and restore the land in compliance with its Reclamation Plan that was approved and is overseen by the State of Montana.
Big Horn Coal Company
Big Horn Coal Company, a Lighthouse Resources Inc. subsidiary, operated a former mine near Sheridan, Wyoming for more than 30 years. In 2011, the U.S. Department of Interior awarded Big Horn Mine the National Excellence in Surface Coal Mining Award. Winners demonstrate a commitment to sound mining practices and effective reclamation plans that enhance beneficial post-mining use of the land, going beyond reclamation requirements to achieve superior results to return sites to productive use after the completion of mining.